Thursday, April 15, 2010

I love the thrift store. 

It's a newfound love, but strong none-the-less. When you have an extremely limited budget but love shopping and getting out the thrift store is the place to go. There is so much to see, the thrill of the hunt, the excitement of finding the most perfect thing for just a few dollars. Love it. But the key element to thrifting is time and patience. If you need something immediately go elsewhere, but if you aren't in any hurry I think thrifting is the way to go. Currently I am looking for a punch bowl. I see them all the time but I have something every specific in mind and until I find it I'll just keep happily scouring the crowded, cluttered second-hand selves. 

In the meantime I found this awesome vintage bag:

And I this fantastic blue chair (listed for $70 but I talked them down to $40!):

While I love how my living room was decorated I've been feeling the need for some change. And the challenge of a new project. So, with my bright-eyed sister-in-law in tow we hit up a bunch of thrift stores and salvation armies last weekend. She was the one that spotted the "english reading chair" as we call it. She also pulled the above cabinet out of our barn and convinced me that it has cute potential Particularly when topped with this random ceramic bird we found: 

Anthro style or grandma? You tell me....

And this awesome print. (That she was supposed to take home for herself but she left here for me because it does look fabulous. Thanks Jess!).

I am loving the transformation of the living room corner. We still need some new end tables, another sofa, and some fun prints or mirrors for the wall, but operation Living Room Makeover is coming together. And the beauty of the situation is I am only out $110 at this point. (Remember the couch I bough a few weeks ago for $60?). However, once I sell my old chair and couch set I will actually be in the positive! 

3 comments:

  1. I am loving your new chair! Also, the print is uber cool...and I know you didn't talk about this, but that picture of you and RJ at the Eiffel Tower is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you add next! :) This weekend there are a couple of antique markets I'm going to try and hit - I'll keep my eyes open for anything that might work for Hosking Haven...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and the bird is SO anthro. :)

    ReplyDelete