Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Green Goodness

One of my favorite seasons as arrived:

AVOCADO SEASON!

I can never get enough of these fruits of green goodness. On BLTs, guac, wraps, sandwiches, burgers, salads, alone with salt, alone with crackers, etc., etc. 

Carpinteria is just up the road brining us loads of fresh avo's and the always fun Avocado Festival - complete with avocado ice cream. 

I just LOVE them. And our generous neighbor has a huge avo tree, so this time of year he brings them to us by the basketful. The only problem is they ripen all at the same time, and even eating nearly half of one or more a day we can't get through them quick enough. (I know I should give more away, but in my defense, around here nearly everyone has a tree or a neighbor with a tree so it's okay if I hoard them.) 

At nearly a dollar each at the grocery store I can't stand watching any of them go to waste, so I've been looking up some recipes (besides guacamole) that include avocado. My search has turned up spectacular results. Plus, my friend Stacey gave me a few good tips.

Did you know you can freeze an entire avocado? You seriously can. And all you have to do is throw the entire fruit (whole!) in the freezer. Then you pull it out when ready, defrost, and use! However, it probably should only be used in guacamole or mixes rather than fresh on a salad.

Also, Stacey told me about a chocolate frosting using only dates, avocados, agave syrup and cocoa power. Trying to find the correct quantities I did an internet search and came across this. I think I'm going to go Raw Food/Vegan on you all and try it. 

Apparently vegans use avocados quite often because I also found this delectable looking dessert. It's a bit odd but I have to see if it what it tastes like. 

Last night I made Paula Dean's Avocado Dressing. There is nothing I like more than a good fatty dressing and this one delivered. Sometimes I'm not super excited about eating my salad, but a little of this stuff and I was gobbling it down. 

(Side Note: If you're like me and sometimes have a difficult time getting thrilled about rabbit food, but know you need to eat it that night, skip the cheese, croutons, and nuts on your salad and use your favorite dressing - fatty or not - eating veggies with a bit of fat is so much better for you than not eating your veg at all.)

How do you like to eat your avocados?
Or are you like Landon and all you think an avo is worth is spitting it on the floor?

3 comments:

  1. I am seriously jealous! I want a bowl of avocados sitting on my counter. Ian and I go thru them like crazy. We use them in everything...curries, stir-frys and soups. Ate half of one tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a recipe for avo smoothie!

    All Green Smoothie
    1/2 c pineapple juice
    1 1/2 c green grapes
    1/4 bartlett pear
    1/2 avo
    1 broccoli floret
    1/2 c fresh spinach
    1 c ice cubes
    1/2 c water

    give it a try & let me know what you think! i haven't been brave enough to give it a go yet.........

    -melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart avocado so much I will just eat it with salt and pepper! This rice is kind of fun though: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/green-goddess-rice-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete