Monday, March 29, 2010

Random Bits

If you read my other blog you'll know that it's Spring Fashion week. Landon's going to be showcasing his spring fashions over here since most of his stuff is thrifty yet stylish. Check out how cute he looked today:

Shirt: Old Navy, hand-me-down
Pants: Arizona, h-m-d
Shoes: Ralph Lauren, sale at Ross for  $3
He had just discovered that his hard-soled shoes made noise when he stomped his feet. What fun!

************
Also, I wanted to start talking about Pantry Staples. Each family's "must-have" items will vary, but I'll start highlighting the things we almost always have on-hand. It might help you discover your own Pantry Staples. Once you figure them out it makes grocery shopping easier and often less expensive (you buy stuff you actually use). 


Pantry Staple: Frozen Strawberries

Landon and I have started drinking smoothies almost daily. He loves them and they're healthy! I want to start hiding veggies in them to increase the nutritional value even more. 

If you have frozen strawberries you can almost always make a smoothie. Since we had no juice I used yogurt and milk which not only made a creamy treat but helped both of us get our calcium in. Today's smoothie included the following:

frozen strawberries
half a banana
milk
whole milk plain yogurt
1/3 can of pineapple
a sprinkling of brown sugar (I would use honey but the baby can't have it)

That's quite a few ingredients. You could easily make one with less. I love smoothies because they're like salads - you can throw together just about anything.

Frozen strawberries from the grocery store are inexpensive, but it's also easy to freeze your own. During strawberry season I often buy a big flat at farmers market. If we don't eat them up fast enough, or some of them start looking mushy, I just cut the tops off and pop them in the freezer in a bag.

2 comments:

  1. anna, could you e-mail me or facebook me where you get the whole milk plain yogurt. i couldn't find any the other day. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadia and I have smoothies almost daily too! I've started tucking a handful of spinach in ours. It sounds weird but you can't taste it at all!

    ReplyDelete