Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What We're Eating

Two of my friends asked that I start posting what I cook. I'm not a chef. I don't make up my own recipes or "cook by my nose" as one of my talented friends does. But, I do consistently put good meals on the table and I do it on a fairly tight budget. So, welcome to what we eat:

Homemade Mojito
Guacamole Salad with Tortilla Chips
Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip

Mojito

RJ actually mixed this yummy cocktail together. It features rum, mint from the garden, agave syrup, and tonic water.

Guacamole Salad

This is a Barefoot Contessa recipe that I altered just a bit.

3 persian cucumbers (or 1 basket cherry tomatoes), chopped
1 yellow bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 c. diced red onion
2 jalapeno peppers, minced (I used 1.5)
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil (I recommend a tad under 1/2 cup)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 hass avocados chopped

Mix the cucumbers (or tomatoes), black beans, bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl.

Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt & pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper. Pour over bean mixture.

Fold in avocados before serving. Serve at room temperature with tortilla chips for scooping. (Or it would be really good over a bed of greens).

Santa Maria Style Tri-Trip

Good old Trader Joes! Already marinated and in the meat section.


I really like this meals b/c it's simple and super tasty. If you prep all the ingredients for the salad earlier in the day and whisk up the dressing, then all you have to do is stick the meat on the BBQ and throw the salad together. Giving you plenty of time to hang with the family.



No comments:

Post a Comment